Change Energy Pty Ltd (“Change Energy”) recognises that your personal information is important to you and that you are concerned with its collection, use and disclosure.
Change Energy, like other companies operating in Australia, is bound by the National Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 which set clear standards regarding these activities. Change Energy’s policy on the collection, use and disclosure of customer personal information is set out below.
Why does Change Energy collect personal information?
The personal information you provide to Change Energy may be collected, used and disclosed for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include:
- providing you with products and/or services requested;
- dealing with requests, enquiries, complaints, consumer guarantee or warranty claims, and other customer care related activities;
- marketing our products and services and providing advice on our products;
- developing and improving our products and services;
- in connection with our loyalty or reward programmes and competitions;
- the operation and administration of accounts or subscriptions that you have with us;
- carrying out certain checks (for example, for our fraud or theft prevention processes, if you wish to open an account with us, obtain credit from us or pick-up goods in-store that have been ordered online);
- carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement that we have to comply with, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- interacting with companies or organisations with whom Change Energy has a business relationship (where you work for such an organisation);
- reconciling payments due to Change Energy from suppliers in relation to goods or services provided to you by those suppliers; and
- purposes relating to any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Change Energy or its assets.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you.
Generally, you have no obligation to provide any information requested by us. However, if you choose not to do so, due to the Clean Energy Regulators requirements for the generation of Small-scale technology certificates we are unlikely to be able to provide you with the goods and services that you want or carry on the other activities set out above.
What Personal Information Does Change Energy collect?
The type of personal information we collect or which we may hold about you may include:
- your name;
- your address;
- your date of birth;
- your telephone number(s);
- your e-mail address;
- transaction information;
- where the customer is a business, details about the directors and shareholders of the business;
- details about your earnings (if you are buying products using a finance plan);
- information contained on identification documents (such as driving licences) where we require these to verify your identity;
- information on how you use our products and services; and
- your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, server address, domain name and information on your browsing activity when visiting one of our websites.
How does Change Energy collect your personal information?
We collect personal information in a number of ways including:
- when you order goods or services from us (either online or in-store);
- when you set up an account with us;
- when you purchase certain products or extended warranties from us;
- when you buy goods on lay-by or “duty-free” goods;
- when you pay for goods by cheque;
- when you subscribe to a Change Energy subscription service;
- when you enter competitions or promotions that we run;
- when you provide us your details for customer care purposes;
- when you browse one of our websites (further information is set out later in this Statement);
- when you complete surveys or provide feedback or product reviews; and
- when you publicly comment about us on social media sites (for example so that we can answer questions about our products).
Change Energy also holds information, collected incidentally, concerning individuals who work for companies or organisations that have a business relationship with Change Energy.
When you create an account with us we will ask you whether you wish to receive information relating to Change Energy and our products. You may also choose to receive such information by subscribing to our mailing list via one of our websites.
To opt-out of receiving Change Energy marketing materials, you will need to unsubscribe. To do this, simply select the “unsubscribe” option in one of the emails that you receive from us or make you request in writing to 10 Milly Court Malaga, W.A. 6090 or email email@example.com
Please note that if you have an account with Change Energy, we may still need to send you essential information about your account.
Sharing your Personal Information
Change Energy may disclose or receive personal information or documents about you to/from:
- our service providers who assist us in providing our services, including organisations that assist us with customer support, administration, archival, research, mail and delivery, marketing, auditing, consulting, financial and legal advisory, banking, security or technical services. In some cases these service providers may collect your personal information on our behalf;
- credit reporting and debt recovery bodies;
- law enforcement agencies to assist in the prevention, investigation and prosecution of criminal activities;
- parties involved in any third party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Change Energy or its assets; and
- to other third parties where you have specifically consented to the disclosure of information to these third parties.
Outside of the warranty claim process Change Energy is not likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients.
Personal Information Collected on behalf of other parties
Change Energy may collect information about you on behalf of third parties. For example, information collected for finance providers or credit reporting bodies.
In these cases the documentation that you sign will set out how the Personal Information that you provide will be used by these third parties and the privacy policies of the third parties will apply. Change Energy may also receive personal information or documents about you from these third parties where necessary in connection with the provision of goods or services by Change Energy.
How we deal with your personal information if you apply for a job with us
If you apply for a job with us, you may be required to provide us with certain personal information, including your name, employment and educational background, and other personal information which we may require you to provide, or which you choose to provide us, in relation to your job application.
We will hold, use and disclose that information solely for the purpose of considering your application. In particular, in considering your application, it may be necessary for us to disclose some of that information to third parties to verify the accuracy of that information. In such circumstances, we will disclose only such information as is necessary in the circumstances.
In considering your application, we may also collect personal information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
Security of your Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
How to access your Personal Information
Upon your request, Change Energy will take reasonable steps to let you know, generally, what sort of personal information we hold, for what purposes and how we collect, use and disclose that information.
Upon your request, Change Energy will provide access to your personal information that we hold (except in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Law). Change Energy reserves the right to charge you an administration fee of $25 for providing access to your personal information and will, of course, require some proof of your identify before providing information to you.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that personal information depends to a large extent on the information you provide to us.
To help ensure the accuracy of the personal information we hold about you, we ask that you:
- let us know if you become aware of any errors in the personal information that we hold about you; and
- inform us of changes to your personal information, such as changes to your name or address or other contact details, using the contact details set out at the end of this Statement.
In addition, if you are a subscriber to our mailing list you can also update your details via the “unsubscribe” option in one of the emails that you receive from us.
Additional Information for users of our Website
If you visit www.changeenergy.com.au, or any other website owned by Change Energy to read, browse or download information, our system may record information such as the date and time of your visit to the Website, the pages accessed and any information downloaded.
This information is used (i) for statistical and reporting purposes; (ii) for website administration, security and maintenance purposes; and (iii) to direct you to material on our Websites that we believe will be of interest to you.
Like many websites, our Website may use “cookies” from time to time. Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser and your log-in status. Cookies may also be used to record non-personal information such as the date, time or duration of your visit, or the pages accessed, for website administration, statistical and maintenance purposes.
Any such information will be aggregated and not linked to particular individuals. The default settings of browsers like Internet Explorer usually allow cookies, but users can easily erase cookies from their hard-drive, block all cookies, or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please note that some parts of the Website may not function fully for users that disallow cookies.
While we take great care to protect your personal information on our Website no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you send to us or receive from us online. This is particularly true for information you send to us via email. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security in our possession.
The Websites may contain links/ plug-ins to other sites. We are not responsible for content of, or the privacy practices or policies of, those sites.
Change Energy sometimes handles personal information relying on exemptions under the Privacy Act, for example in relation to (i) employee records; (ii) related bodies corporate; (iii) provision of services to Federal, State or Territory authorities; and (iv) operations outside Australia relating to personal information of non- Australians.
Any permitted handling of personal information under such exemptions will take priority over this privacy statement to the extent of any inconsistency.
What we collect online
We may collect the following information:
- home address;
- contact information including email address;
- enquiry, warranty or service request and customer complaints details; and
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers;
What we do with the Information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to Other Websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your Personal Information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes.
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Change Energy, 10 Milly Court Malaga, Perth WA 6090.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect and notify you in writing to confirm that your information has been updated.
If you have any queries or concerns, further information can be obtained by contacting our Privacy Officer by email email@example.com or by post to The Privacy Officer.